§ 78C‑86. Definitions.
The following definitions apply in this Article:
(1) Agency contract. – An agreement in which a student‑athlete authorizes a person to negotiate or solicit on behalf of the student‑athlete a professional‑sports‑services contract or an endorsement contract.
(2) Athlete agent. – An individual who enters into an agency contract with a student‑athlete or, directly or indirectly, recruits or solicits a student‑athlete to enter into an agency contract. The term includes an individual who represents to the public that the individual is an athlete agent. The term does not include a spouse, parent, sibling, or guardian of the student‑athlete or an individual acting solely on behalf of a professional sports team or professional sports organization.
(3) Athletic director. – An individual responsible for administering the overall athletic program of an educational institution or, if an educational institution has separately administered athletic programs for male students and female students, the athletic program for males or the athletic program for females, as appropriate.
(4) Contact. – A communication, direct or indirect, between an athlete agent and a student‑athlete to recruit or solicit the student‑athlete to enter into an agency contract.
(5) Endorsement contract. – An agreement under which a student‑athlete is employed or receives consideration to use on behalf of the other party any value that the student‑athlete may have because of publicity, reputation, following, or fame obtained because of athletic ability or performance.
(6) Intercollegiate sport. – A sport played at the collegiate level for which eligibility requirements for participation by a student‑athlete are established by a national association for the promotion or regulation of collegiate athletics.
(7) Person. – An individual, company, corporation, partnership, association, or any other legal or commercial entity.
(8) Professional‑sports‑services contract. – An agreement under which an individual is employed or agrees to render services as a player on a professional sports team, with a professional sports organization, or as a professional athlete.
(9) Record. – Information that is inscribed on a tangible medium or that is stored in an electronic or other medium and is retrievable in perceivable form.
(10) Registration. – A certificate issued by the Secretary of State evidencing that a person has satisfied the requirements of an athlete agent pursuant to this Article.
(11) Student‑athlete. – An individual who engages in, is eligible to engage in, or may be eligible in the future to engage in any intercollegiate sport. If an individual is permanently ineligible to participate in a particular intercollegiate sport, the individual is not a student‑athlete for purposes of that sport. (2003‑375, s. 2.)